Imagine an ice cream cone. Two mammoth-size scoops of your favorite flavor perched ever-so-gently on top. Sounds amazing, right? The only problem is the summer heat blasting down on you and that precious dessert. The logical solution: eat now, eat fast (avoid brainfreeze!).
Summer is officially gone, our kids have begrudgingly made their way back to school, and it’s very possible that SuperCamp was the most delicious treat they got all summer. The day they graduated from camp, that SuperCamp ice cream cone was fresh, cool, and seemingly endless. But we all know that the first day of school is just like a heat wave – new friends, new classes, and pressure to fall back into old habits. If we don’t keep eating, all that good stuff will have melted onto the floor.
In order to make the camp-to-school transition smooth and ongoing, we at SuperCamp have created a number of strategies to assist you and your SuperCamp grad in holding onto powerful strategies, mindsets, and goals:
- Our grad support hub is QuantumLearner.com, which will be constantly updated throughout the year. This is where you can access pictures from your student’s SuperCamp experience. One way to offer support is to print off pictures of your son or daughter with their friends at camp and post them near their ‘Homework Spot’ at home. This will keep them enthused about using SuperCamp skills throughout the year. QuantumLearner.com is your first stop for Grad Support.
- NEW FOR 2009! We are proud to introduce our Grad Support Hotline at 1-800-285-3276, extension 170. Have your camper leave a message (anything regarding SuperCamp skills and tools) and one of our trained SuperCamp Facilitators will call back with a refresher, pep talk, or whatever is needed! Your son or daughter may be hesitant to ask for help; let them know that they might get to speak with a Facilitator who was at their camp and that all of our Facilitators are dynamic, fun, and love to help! Again, call our main number at 1-800-285-3276 and dial extension 170.
- Refresher videos will be available once-a-month on YouTube and QuantumLearner.com based on topics that are appropriate for the time of year, (i.e. Test-Taking Skills in December for Midterms). No boring lectures – all the sweetness of SuperCamp in a quick, informative fashion.
- Visit our student and parent support page for a quick review of some of the most common SuperCamp support topics.
- Facebook! As you’re reading this, it’s very possible that your child is currently on Facebook or has been at some point during the last 2 hours. With that knowledge, we have created a number of groups and support networks and even an official SuperCamp Facebook page as a way of bringing our world to theirs. Encourage your kids to keep in touch with their SuperCamp friends and staff members and look at pictures from camp. Facebook is a great way to stay connected, however, if your student has questions for staff about SuperCamp curriculum, please direct them to the Grad Support Hotline (800-285-3276×170).
- Find a time (after asking permission) to look over your student’s SuperCamp playbook with them and ask questions about learned skills. Top things to ask about: Goals, the Quantum Reading process, Strategies (SLANT, Notes TM, Mind Mapping), and the 8 Keys of Excellence.
- If you’re interested in having your son or daughter come back to SuperCamp in 2010 (and they were a student in Senior Forum), encourage them to come back on Leadership Training Team to further develop their skills while getting the chance to have a new, different camp experience. For more information, check out our teen summer camps page and scroll down to Leadership Training Team or call 1-800-285-3276.
We are so excited to have had your student at SuperCamp this summer and are committed to making sure you get the return on your investment. Encourage your kids to use our resources – we want to keep them successful.
We’re looking forward to helping you and your student keep that ice cream cone fresh and “non-melty” throughout the school year!